Thursday 19 June 2014

The 90% Plus Syndrome

The incredible SSC results this year reminded me of an emotional write up by my daughter who an year ago had experienced her moment of ignominy inspite of having scored a laudable 88% in ICSE. Reasons being a 98% score in the same exam by another girl from our residential complex and few 90% plus scores amongst her classmates.
I felt like a creep when my daughter wrote that she was aware of the disappointment that lay hidden below our outwardly optimism and how much she wished she could equal the golden girls just for seeing a genuine smile on our face. Her write up was a valuable insight into the minds of thousands of students who become victims of sky high expectations of their parents in a rat race that defies all logic.
I have been reliving these thoughts since last two days post the innumerable 90% plus scores amongst the kids in my know. My heart goes out for those kids who couldn't manage to ride the 90% plus wave inspite of best efforts on their part. I also empathize with the parents of these kids who experience the helpless feeling of 'why my child?'.
It may sound a bit routine and cliche, but have to say that when these kids grow up and look back in life, they would also like us realise that a 90% plus score in the boards does not necessarily guarantee a passport to a successful life ahead. Life is too precious to be measured in terms of your performance in Std. X or XII. So keep your head high and move ahead in life. The world awaits to embrace you.
And last but not least, irrespective of your score your parents love you unconditionally and your happiness means the whole world for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.